Dome vs Turret vs Bullet
1/ The Dome Camera
The dome camera is very popular and you can see them in most of modern installations. This camera offers an amazing vandal proof ability as the lens is fully covered in a vandal proof glass dome.
- Highly vandal proof.
- Smaller form factor (vs Turret).
- SD Card inside (backup storage)
- Prone to IR bounce (small dots during night time mode)
- Water droplets blurring lens (if mounted vertically)
2/ The Turret
The Turret camera is becoming the more preferred camera of choice amongst professionals. This camera offers the same high quality imagery of the dome, but without the pitfalls caused by the glass housing.
- No IR Bounce (small dots during night time mode).
- Can be mounted vertical or horizontal.
- Available in Dark Grey.
- Extended IR Capability.
- Less vandal proof than dome.
- Slightly larger form factor vs dome (about 5%).
- No SD Card inside (backup storage)
3/ The bullet
The Bullet camera is the camera you would traditionally expect to see in a busy City Centre, on the top of a high pole watching the town and large crowds. This camera is not very popular for home owners as it can often look unsightly and doesn’t offer anymore benefits vs the Dome or Turret in a home installation scenario.
- High zoom capabilities.
- Extended IR.
- Highly visible? (subjective)
- Unsightly in residential installations.
- Largest form factor.
- Restricted Angles due to body.
- Prone to wildlife nesting.